My child is sleeping now, but the evening was long. On the way home a clichéd advertisement sprang to mind. One dime swallowed by a two-year-old: ten cents. Visit to an ER for X-ray: $250. Sleeping, safe child, well, we all know the cliché. I was planning to post about something else tonight, but life intervenes.
I learned tonight that the clinic near my house closes at 8:00 P.M, and I was thirty minutes too late. I learned that you can't get stitches on a wound if it has been more than eight hours since the injury due to an increased risk of infection. I learned, too late, that Urgent Care Plus, which is also nearby, closes at 9:00 P.M. We learned that lots of kids swallow objects, but even sharp objects are not as dangerous as disc and button batteries. I learned that the doctor in the ER wears exactly the same model of Seiko Kinetic watch I wear, and I learned that people can fracture their wrists in interesting and "unusual" ways trying to play follow-the-leader on their motorcycles.
update: The dime's out.